To You Straight
Scott Patrick Brand
Scott practices primarily in the areas of criminal law and estate planning. Scott's clients often describe him as "a straightforward, no-nonsense advocate." Scott is a husband, father and a native of West Fargo, North Dakota.
Having handled over a thousand criminal cases in his career and having appeared in numerous counties throughout North Dakota and Minnesota, Scott has seen almost every type of case: DUI, Minor In Possession (MIP), drug possession, disorderly conduct, domestic violence, assault, white collar crime, theft, burglary, trespass, sex crimes, appeals, and even homicide are some of the examples of cases that have come across Scott's desk. Growing up on a farm gave Scott the work ethic to know when the extra effort is needed on a case. As a veteran of Operation Iraqi Freedom, Scott has developed a knack for being able to engage in straight talk about what is going on with each case he handles. He is not afraid to have a candid conversation about what is happening in the case with his clients, the prosecutors, judges and juries.
As a husband and involved father himself, Scott brings a unique perspective to the practice of family law. The decision to get a divorce is a challenging one and the prospect of going through the legal system can make this even more intimidating. Scott helps clients understand and work through the legal process in order to move forward in their lives. He also works with clients seeking to modify their custody or child support obligations.
- Criminal Defense
- Criminal Trials
- Administrative Appeals
- Family Law
- University of North Dakota School of Law, Grand Forks, North Dakota
- J.D. - 2012
- Honors: magna cum laude
- Honors: Moot Court Champion
- Honors: Environmental Law Society, Refounder
- University of North Dakota
- B.A. - 2009
- Honors: Officer of Pi Sigma Alpha
- Major: Political science
- North Dakota
- U.S. District Court District of North Dakota
- Cass County Inns of Court (Ronald N. Davies Inns of Court)
- North Dakota Association of Criminal Defense Attorneys
- Lillian Elsinga Outstanding Student Leader Award, 2012
- Memorial Union Leadership Scholarship, 2012
- Rising Stars, Super Lawyers
- Northwest Judicial District of North Dakota, Judicial law clerk
- Minnesota Army National Guard
- Senator Byron Dorgan in Washington, D.C.